Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Babies are Almost JIs!!!


Two semesters in a row, I have had the honor of getting a little sis. I absolutely adore both of them, and I am honored that they chose me to be their big.

I love that my house is different from the others. We have three “pals” throughout the semester. They are secret pin pals for the new members, they last a week, and they are an opportunity for the new members to get to know initiates better. It is also an excuse for the new members to come over to the house and hang out with initiates; it is an icebreaker of sorts.

Another differentiation is that we do everything much later in the semester. We wait until after Halloween to pair our new members with a big sis, and we have our initiation in the last few weeks of school. I think this is a huge benefit of our house. This extra time allows the new members to get to know the girls before they pick their big and it allows them to feel as though they are truly members of our house before they are initiated.

Despite the benefits that these little differences make for our new members I must say that it creates many problems for the initiates. I absolutely adore both of my littles, but it is extremely burdensome that I must take time away from studying for midterms and writing papers, in order to make each of them their own scrap book as well as bulletin boards, clip boards and even more gifts to shower them with.

I think it is extremely important to give our babies – yes, that is what I call them – the time they need to become comfortable in our house and with our initiates, I also feel that it is detrimental to our initiates and their academic performance.

I adore both of my littles, but the time that I have been spending on their scrapbooks would have been much better spent on my paper due next Monday. I guess my new little is just going to have to settle for a half finished scrapbook, just like her twin did.

Oh well. I love you little!

No comments: