Monday, November 5, 2007

what's your secret?




I want to send Frank Warren a postcard.

For all of you who don't know, Frank Warren is a genius.

People send Frank Warren hand made post cards with their deepest and darkest secrets written on them. He organizes them and publishes them. He has three books out containing just a fraction of these secrets.

Some people don’t send their secrets to him but place them inside copies of the books in bookstores. There are stories of people who go to purchase the book and when they open it, postcards come falling out.

I’ve become addicted to it.

He has a blog and every Sunday he posts new and unseen secrets. Some of them are funny, some are shocking and others make my heart stop.

There is something liberating about reading other people's secrets. My favorite secrets are the ones that go something like: “Frank, if you are reading this it means I’ve decided to …” they almost always end in something positive.

I want to send Frank Warren a post card.

It sounds liberating; writing your secret down and sending it out into the world anonymously. I think I would drive really far away, maybe to Tahoe or LA, and send it from there. That road trip would be agony - arguing with myself over whether or not I really want people to read it. Then again, no one would know where the secret originated from; who knows, maybe someone, somewhere would read it and know exactly what I was expressing.
Is it sad that as much as I feel that I want to write him telling him everything, I feel I have nothing to say?
photo credits: http://postsecret.blogspot.com/ November 6, 2007

No comments: